An Anvil, A Furnace, and a Hammer
Lister Chain & Forge opened as a small blacksmith shop serving local tradesmen in the Pacific Northwest. Ward Lister opened shop in 1911, where he made a living forging horseshoes, steel carriage tires and buggy parts with an anvil, furnace and hammer.
As the area’s industries expanded, so did the shop’s capabilities. Boom chains were manufactured for loggers and kiln chain for the cement and pulp industries. While the shop’s first foray into marine products began with chains and anchors for the flourishing fishing industry.
Link by Link
Over the following decades, Lister grew rapidly through its commitment to innovation and unparalleled craftsmanship. In the 80s, Lister forged strong business relations all over America, including many of the nation’s shipyards. These shipyards included those producing United States Navy ships requiring specialized anchor chains, anchors & related fittings.
Lister saw the opportunity to support the needs of the United States Navy and Coast Guard. The first Department of Defense contract was received in 1985 when Lister Chain manufactured anchor chain for Bath Iron Works in Maine. Since then, Lister Chain has grown to provide American-made chain and anchors for the majority of the United States Navy and Coast Guard’s new ship construction.
Forging America’s Future
Over the last century, Lister has grown one link at a time, with a firm focus on customer relations and delivery of the highest quality chain products manufactured in America. We continue to serve the U.S. Armed Forces and our amazing servicemen and women by producing the highest quality anchor chains for their requirements.
The dedicated men and women who keep our forge running are committed to taking our manufacturing leadership further in the coming decades. We’re American-made and proud to be a part of the nation’s shining future.